The cuisine of Maò
Text by Anna Fusai
Photo: Sisterscom.com, Shutterstock
Copyright © Sisterscom.com. All rights reserved.
Minorca. Photo: Copyright © Sisterscom.com / Shutterstock
Menorca welcomes visitors to the city in facilities equipped with every comfort to offer a pleasant stay.
To find the ideal hotel and the best offers you can do a search by stars but also by locations or places of interest.
The island (Illa del Rei), also known as The Bloody Island, is in the centre of the harbour, between Mahón and Es Castell. The island has two very interesting architectural sites: the remains of the Early Christian era basilica and the old military hospital. Built by the British, the old military hospital occupies a large part of the island and stands on its highest point. It is a U-shaped building that faces east. It was abandoned in 1964 when the new military hospital was built in the city of Mahón.
TOWN HALL CLOCK
Maó’s city clock was made in London by Mr. Windonill and was acquired by order of Richard Kane in 1731. In 1788 it was placed on the front of the Town Hall building, set between columns with Ionic capitals and topped by a bell tower.
The Museum of Menorca, based in the old 15th century Franciscan monastery of Jesus, describes the history of the occupation ofMenorca. The most interesting rooms are the ones on prehistory, ancient history and 18th century Menorca. There is also a room on Menorcan traditional trades and crafts plus a large collection of 18th, 19th and 20th century engravings and paintings. On the second floor, three rooms reflect the freedom of trade that flourished under British sovereignty and that brought about economic prosperity and cultural development, especially in the fields of painting and literature.
The Church of la Concepción was built in 1749 by the Greek colony living in Mahón during the first British occupation. It became known in the local community as the “Greeks’ church”. The most remarkable feature of this church is its interior, unique in Menorca. The Greeks and the Jews were expelled from the island and had their assets confiscated, including the church. During years, it became a gym, theatre, garage and various other things, but was then re-opened in 1868 by the bishop Mateo Jaume as a Roman Catholic church dedicated to Concepción.
The Hernández Sanz - Hernández Mora Museum Collection is based on the first floor of the cloister of El Carme in Maó. Joan Hernández Mora, born in Mahón in 1902, was a Menorcan intellectual. One of his last wishes was to give Mahón City Council the private collections started by his father Francisco Hernández Sanz historian, archivist and editor of Revista de Menorca. The collections are now housed in the museum named after him.
Excursions in Menorca
Sant Antoni is in the northern part of Mahón Harbour known as “S'Altra Banda” (the other side). Legend has it that Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton conducted their love affair here in 1800. For this reason, the residence is also known as The Golden Farm or Nelson’s House. The classic appearance of the facade and its red walls have made the house an unmistakable architectural feature in the harbour area and it is often pointed out as an example of Menorca colonial architecture.
Sant Felip Castle stands on the southern side of the entrance to Mahón harbour and was built in the mid-16th century designed by Italian engineer Giovanni Battista Calvi. For Menorca, the castle is more than an old fortress, as it bears witness to nearly two and a half centuries of turbulent history. Remains of the castle still survive on the surface, but the most impressive sights are to be found underneath the site, where several levels of underground passageways were dug by the Spanish and British over the course of various occupations.