The airport was built in the current location, near the town of Ghiroda, in 1960. From 1975 to 1980 were carried out the following work: extension of the runway from 2500 to 3500 m; terminals for international flights, the control tower, the hall and the administrative building. From 1980 to 1990 were carried out flights: Timişoara, Bucharest, Constanţa, Frankfurt, New York and Chicago. In 2003 the airport become a hub, which connects major cities in Romania with the cities of Italy and Germany. The extension and expansion of the terminal for international flights was opened in 2004. And, in 2006, was built a new car park and access road to the airport. The extension works for the international departure terminal was completed in 2007.
Management company: Ministry of Transport - Timisoara Airport - Traian Vuia S.A. National Company
Address: tr. Aeroport, nr.2 307200 Ghiroda - Timis O.P. 7 C.P. 1375 Romania
Telephone no.: +40 256 386 089
IATA Code: TSR
ICAO Code: LRTR
Country code: RO
Express nr 4 (E4b) connects the Airport with the central railway of station Timisoara city.
Tickets desk is located in the Domestic Flights Terminal and opened 24 hours.
The airport is located in the North-Western part of Timişoara Municipality, at a distance of 12 km. The access to the airport is on the European Road E70 from Timisoara to Bucharest.
The taxis are available for the passengers in front of the two terminals.
In airport there are same agencies of rent a car: Avis, Bavaria, Budget, europcar, Hertz, Sixt, Thrifty, city Car, Api Rent e Autonom.